Monday, January 12, 2009

Farm animals returning to the cities

The pressure of inflation and the desire for more wholesome food are motivating city dwellers to begin raising small farm animals at home:

A rooster belts out a cry from one of the yards, where the homeowners also keep a pair of geese in a converted sun porch. What they don't have, however, are any permits for their minor menagerie. Denver does allow chickens for an annual fee. Roosters, though, are entirely outlawed.

So it's understandable that the homeowner, Brad, doesn't want his last name used.


Look for this to increase greatly in the years ahead, with local authorities turning a blind eye to the zoning violations.

5 comments:

  1. So, it's possible local governments can actually learn? I would contend that's still rare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that local governments will not yield any of their power easily. My prediction is plausible if we assume they'll become increasingly feeble as tax revenues dry up. Payment of unofficial fees (bribes) could persuade enforcers to look the other way.

    I expect the keeping of urban farm animals will be most prevalent in the barrios and other "ethnic" neighborhoods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear the roosters crowing every morning from the yards adjacent to my school as I pull into my parking space. Although it's in urban Houston, people keep horses and all manner of small farm animals. Yes, it's an "ethnic" neighborhood.--Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roosters can be noisy, but hens are delightfully civilized creatures and eggs are nutritious.

    In my city (Taichung) I can walk to day markets with live chickens -- I suspect most or all of them are hens.

    That reminds me, I need to get more fresh eggs. I haven't had breakfast yet.

    ReplyDelete